As a senior/cabinet level officer of your institution, the expectation from your president and your board is that while representing your particular division, you are also able to effectively contribute in all other institutional areas, as well as articulate the challenges and goals facing your institution and the larger academic market.
Below is a broad overview of important institutional metrics in Enrollment Management. As a senior/cabinet level officer, it is key to be familiar with:
- Your institution’s enrollment goals for the year
- Your institution’s financial aid budget
- Your institution’s discount rate
- The average financial aid package for your students
- The amount of institutional aid available to your students
- The annual cost of tuition, room, board, and fees
- Know what your summer melt is
- Your institution’s net tuition revenue
- Your benchmark institutions—by US News tier, by athletic conference, by affiliation (i.e., women’s institutions, religiously affiliated, Land Grant, etc.)
- Those institutions that you lose students to in the admissions process
- The top feeder community colleges that your institution has articulation agreements with
- The number of transfer students that arrive each semester.
“At The Cabinet Level: Enrollment Management” is the second installment of SJG’s Tips Series, a periodic blog series offering tips on higher education executive search, leadership, and career development. Each series will address a particular topic or area of higher ed. To follow the “At The Cabinet Level” series on Twitter, use the hashtag #SJG_Cabinet_Tips.