RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
Reporting to the dean of the college, the associate dean of residential life oversees, develops, administers, and manages all aspects of the comprehensive residential life program for undergraduates living in campus residence halls and living-learning communities. This includes oversight of all professional staff in the units that comprise Residential Life: House Communities, Undergraduate Housing, Residential Education, and Greek Life. As such, this position must work closely with the dean of the college and other senior divisional leadership while collaborating with student affairs colleagues, faculty, students, and others to create and maintain a residential community that fosters integrative student academic, social, and emotional growth. As an active Student Affairs management team member, the associate dean oversees a staff of 16 with an additional six house professors with a dual report to the dean of the college and a $5M budget.
Key accountabilities include:
Programs and Services
- Serves as the primary divisional resource regarding undergraduate Residential Life and envisions, develops, and implements Residential Life goals, programs, policies, and systems in order to promote student success, wellness, and learning.
- Works collaboratively with academic colleagues and Student Affairs to imagine and further implement an integrative, residential life model to successfully bolster the academic excellence that a Dartmouth education embodies, including oversight, development, implementation, and ongoing management of living-learning and house communities and associated programs.
- Develops and advances diversity, equity, and inclusivity in the residential experience.
- Partners with other senior leadership to advance divisional strategic priorities.
- Partners with the Office of Community Standards & Accountability to ensure consistent and appropriate management of disciplinary issues in residential communities.
- Serves as senior staff in charge, oversees the residence life on-call system, and works closely with the director of Residential Operations in responding to facilities crises, and assists in the management of student and community crisis response.
- Informs programmatic and design discussions regarding the development, construction, and renovation of campus residential facilities.
- Serves as representative on departmental, divisional, and institutional working groups and committees as assigned.
- Oversees hiring, orientation, ongoing training, and evaluation of all staff in the offices that comprise Residential Life: Residential Education, Undergraduate Housing, and Greek Life.
- Sustains systems of communication, information sharing, and teamwork among leadership in Residential Life offices to promote the highest quality programs and living experience possible.
- Responds to family & supporter questions and concerns about Residential Life programs and services.
- Develops and administers Residential Life budgets, including collaboration with the director of fiscal management and human resources to identify financial resources and conduct strategic planning.
- Designs and implements assessment to evaluate the effectiveness of Residential Life programs and services.
- Serves as a member of the Student Affairs senior management team and acts on behalf of the dean of the college in their absence.