Johns Hopkins, the Quaker merchant, banker, and businessman, left $7 million in 1873 to create The Johns Hopkins University and The Johns Hopkins Hospital, instructing his trustees to create new models and standards for medical education and health care.
The Johns Hopkins Hospital opened in 1889, and the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine opened four years later.
In 1986, the hospital trustees created The Johns Hopkins Health System Corporation to serve as the parent of the hospital and future subsidiary entities.
After more than 130 years, Johns Hopkins remains a world leader in both teaching and research. Eminent professors mentor top students in the arts and music, the humanities, the social and natural sciences, engineering, international studies, education, business, and the health professions. Those same faculty members, and their research colleagues at the university’s Applied Physics Laboratory, have each year since 1979 won Johns Hopkins more federal research and development funding than any other university.
The university has nine academic divisions and campuses throughout the Baltimore-Washington area. The Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, the Whiting School of Engineering, and the School of Education are based at the Homewood campus in northern Baltimore. The Bloomberg School of Public Health and the schools of medicine and nursing share a campus with The Johns Hopkins Hospital in east Baltimore. The Carey Business School is located in Harbor East in downtown Baltimore. The Peabody Institute, a leading professional school of music, is located on Mount Vernon Place in downtown Baltimore. The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies is located in Washington’s Dupont Circle area.
The Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is a division of the university with a non-academic, research-based mission. APL, located between Baltimore and Washington, supports national security and also pursues space science, exploration of the solar system and other civilian research and development.
Johns Hopkins also has a campus near Rockville in Montgomery County, Md., and has academic facilities in Nanjing, China, and in Bologna, Italy. It maintains a network of continuing education facilities throughout the Baltimore-Washington region, including centers in downtown Baltimore, in downtown Washington, and in Columbia.
In 1996, the health system and the school of medicine joined together to become Johns Hopkins Medicine.
Johns Hopkins Medicine (JHM), headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland, is an $8 billion integrated global health enterprise and one of the leading health care systems in the United States. Johns Hopkins Medicine unites physicians and scientists of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine with the organizations, health professionals, and facilities of The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Health System.
Diverse and inclusive, Johns Hopkins Medicine educates medical students, scientists, health care professionals, and the public; conducts biomedical research; and provides patient-centered medicine to prevent, diagnose, and treat human illness.
Johns Hopkins Medicine operates six academic and community hospitals, four suburban health care and surgery centers, and 39 primary and specialty care outpatient sites. The Johns Hopkins Hospital, opened in 1889, has been ranked number one in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for 22 years, most recently in 2013.
- MD/PhD program—largest National Institutes of Health (NIH) medical science training program in the country
- MD/MPH and MD/MBA joint degree programs
- MA in medical and biological illustration
- Annually ranked second in NIH funding for U.S. medical schools ($462 million)
- Medical and doctoral students: over 1,200
- Full-time faculty: over 2,800
- Part-time faculty: over 1,200