RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
Reporting to the assistant vice chancellor for Student Retention & Success (SRS), the director of Student Success Programs (SSP) leads a comprehensive portfolio of programs and initiatives to support several distinct populations of students at UC San Diego. Student Success Programs includes: Undocumented Student Services; the Student Veterans Resource Center; Transfer Student Success; the Student Success Coaching Program; and the Triton Firsts program, which engages first-generation faculty, staff, and alumni to support a growing first-generation population at UC San Diego. The director will lead assessment and evaluation, marketing, communication, and strategic planning for the programs and initiatives within their purview in alignment with the division of student affairs and SRS. They play a crucial role in building strategic partnerships across the campus to advance the university goals of student belonging and success. The director must be an equity-minded champion for mission-critical activities, promoting student success and persistence for UC San Diego students.
The director supervises five full-time employees, indirectly manages approximately ten additional staff, and leverages a budget of almost $2 million to promote student success. The director also serves a critical role as a member of the SRS leadership team and ensures SRS services support student needs and expectations, focusing on students from historically excluded populations or with unique needs.
Additional responsibilities for the director:
- Establishes and implements short-term program goals and objectives for SSP, and works with unit managers to develop similar strategic plans in alignment with SRS and student affairs goals.
- Contributes to and develops connections and relationships with the campus as an active Student Retention & Success leadership team member.
- Establishes the department’s policies and procedures and takes the lead in developing new communications to the university community and public, which reflect the nature of new or evolving programs, policies, and procedures.
- Responsible for the recruitment, supervision, evaluation, and development of the Student Success Programs staff.
- Provides direction to professional and support staff, while coordinating their work and activities in a manner that is efficient and maximizes services to students.
- Coordinates unit assessments of usage, needs, satisfaction, and student achievement based on the learning outcomes for each respective program and service.
- Evaluates the potential impact and opportunities within campus programs, policies, procedures, and practices for underserved and/or underrepresented student communities at UC San Diego.