Role of the Senior Director and Deputy Chief Human Resources Officer
Providing leadership to various human resource programs and services, the senior director and deputy chief human resources officer serves as a member of the human resources senior leadership team, and as deputy to the vice chancellor and chief human resources officer, leading the department in his absence.
In support of the University’s mission, the senior director will champion a metrics framework for human resources–leading efforts to identify and create a comprehensive metrics dashboard focused on improving organizational performance and providing stronger customer service and direction to the multiple human resources units located in the schools, colleges, and divisions that comprise this flagship campus. The senior director partners with the vice chancellor of human resources and senior campus leadership on campus initiatives which impact the University workforce and assists with employee matters involving a high level of sensitivity, confidentiality, and/or complexity. The senior director will design and execute project plans which emphasize consensus building and effective implementation strategies across all of the campus’ decentralized human resources offices.
The successful candidate will provide leadership and oversight to the Labor Relations, Workplace Learning & Development, and the Partnership for Worker Education units, leading initiatives and efforts within these units and representing these areas campus wide. The senior director has five direct reports, 18 professional and administrative support staff within their portfolio, and will assist in managing the divisional budget of approximately $4 million.
Currently, the HR department is in the process of implanting SalesForce for a ticket system as well as to digitize the department over the course of the next two years. Additionally, the vice chancellor has created a business partner system—there are four business partners, reporting directly to the vice chancellor, that are assigned to various schools, colleges, and divisions.
Labor Relations represents the University for collective bargaining of contracts. There are 11 collective bargaining units representing over 90 percent of University employees. Unions represented on the UMass campus include:
- AFSCME: American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees
- AFSCME: Unit B – American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees
- GEO/UAW: Graduate Employee Organization unit of the UAW Local 2322. Administered by the Office of the Provost.
- IBPO: International Brotherhood of Police Officer
- NEPBA: New England Police Benevolent Association
- MSP: Massachusetts Society of Professors: Administered by the Office of the Provost.
- PRO/UAW: Postdoctoral Researchers Organizing unit of the UAW Local 2322. Administered by the Office of the Provost.
- PSU/MTA: Professional Staff Union / Massachusetts Teachers Association Unit A (Exempt)
- PSU/MTA: Professional Staff Union / Massachusetts Teachers Association Unit B (Non-Exempt Supervisory).
- RA: Resident Assistants United Auto Workers Local 2322
- USA/MTA: University Staff Association Affiliate of the Massachusetts Teachers Association
Currently, the director of the labor relations unit, Helen Bowler, is in an acting capacity.
The Partnership for Worker Education
The Partnership for Worker Education is a workplace education partnership based at UMass Amherst offering quality, innovative education and training to frontline workers including clerks, secretaries, trades workers, maintainers, professional, technical, grounds, administrative and support staff. These partnerships with employers and unions address the changing workplace: new skills for employees, as well as employee advancement, engagement, retention, and morale.
Workplace Learning & Development
Workplace Learning & Development promotes employee and organizational growth, development, and empowerment by providing innovative, high-quality programs and services such as:
- Online and classroom trainings for all levels of staff
- Supervisor Trainings
- Coaching and mentoring
- Facilitation and customized workshops