Congratulations! You’ve just been notified of your acceptance into the first-round interview process. Now it’s time to prepare for the video-conference interview. Here are some “do” tips to help navigate the daunting, sci-fi world of the video conference:
- Prior to your interview, test, test, and test the software, whether it’s Skype, Zoom, GoToMeeting, or any of the video-conference programs available.
- Dress for the interview. Remember that you are being viewed by a search committee, so dress appropriately (suit and tie for men, suit or dress for women).
- Position yourself in an appropriate place. Viewers will see everything around you, so clean your office, kitchen, living or dining room, or wherever you are sitting for the interview.
And please pay attention to the following “don’ts”:
- Don’t sit for the interview outside, in your car, or near a swimming pool.
- Don’t sit for the interview in a busy location. You don’t want the distraction of a child or dog walking into the room, or a cat plopping down on your keyboard, while you’re explaining why you’re the best person for the job!